BSRTC started its operation in 1953 as a state-run transport service provider. The Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation directly manages the buses run by Bihar State Road Transport Corporation. Earlier, these buses were operated by Rajya Transport which managed the bus services throughout the country.
BSRTC has invested crores of money in getting the bus services running. It is also considered the second-highest investment ever made by the Bihar State Government. BSRTC online booking can be made quickly on the redBus application or the official website. BSRTC also started the Patna City Bus service in the year 2018. A BSRTC bus running in Patna is used by around 50,000 passengers daily.
Amenities on BSRTC buses
BSRTC buses try their best to make your journey smooth and hassle-free, providing the best in class services. Some of the popular amenities offered by BSRTC are:
- Blankets: They come in handy during winter, especially at night when A/C is chilly.
- Pillows: It is an excellent addition to the comfort of the people.
- Air-conditioning: When travelling during summer, A/C is an essential criterion for every passenger.
- Point for Charging: This is an essential amenity that can be used for charging mobiles and laptops.
- Television: While available on some buses, it provides a great entertainment source.
- A first-aid kit: This is something that every bus service should have to avoid mishaps.
- Water Bottles: For long journeys, water bottles often become essential.
- Wifi: A lot of BSRTC buses have also started providing wifi now. It is a valuable addition for professionals who want to work on a specific project throughout their journey.
Popular Travel Routes of BSRTC
A BSRTC bus typically runs between the states of Bihar and Jharkhand. A BSRTC bus booking can be quickly made on the redBus app, which provides hassle-free services. Some of the most popular routes covered by a BSRTC bus are mentioned below:
- Agra to Muzaffarpur
- Ranchi to Patna
- Patna to Jamshedpur
- Lucknow to Hajipur
- Hajipur to Delhi
- Gopalganj to Muzaffarpur
- Patna to Muzaffarpur
- Hajipur to Lucknow
- Muzaffarpur to Agra
- Patna to Agra
- Patna to Bokaro
- Gorakhpur to Patna
- Lucknow to Patna
- Patna to Dhanbad
You can easily book tickets for any of these routes on the redBus app or website. This list is not exhaustive. A BSRTC bus covers several routes. A BSRTC Volvo bus can also be booked if you want to take a BSRTC on these routes.
Types of BSRTC Buses
BSRTC has a decent fleet size. It also connects the rural parts of the states. A variety of buses are a part of the BSRTC bus fleet. Some of the buses are:
- BSRTC Volvo bus: These buses are known for their luxury. The tickets for these buses are pretty expensive. These buses are sleeper buses. Also, the passengers are provided with pillows, blankets, water bottles, and face wipes to make the journey more comfortable.
- Semi-Sleeper Buses: These buses have a 2+2 seating arrangement. These buses are both air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned. They have Mercedes and Scania buses as a part of their fleet.
- Non-AC Seater buses: These buses either have a 2+2 layout or the simplified 3+2 layout. These buses do not have an air conditioning system, so the tickets are a little less expensive. These buses do not have luxury services but are availed by the maximum number of passengers taking a BSRTC bus.
BSRTC has been trying to move towards a cleaner and greener environment. Thus, they have also integrated various electric buses into their fleet. A BSRTC bus booking can be quickly made on the redBus mobile app or the redBus website. You can choose from the list given above. You can make this choice depending on the budget you have for the trip.
Popular Cities Covered by BSRTC Buses
BSRTC bus covers different cities within the states of Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh. A BSRTC bus booking can easily be made on the redBus app if you want to travel to any of the popular cities. Some of the most popular cities that you can include on a BSRTC bus or BSRTC Volvo bus are given below:
- Cities in Bihar: Patna, Muzzafarpur, Bhagalpur, Hazaribagh, Darbhanga, Motihari, Purnia, Gaya,
- Popular cities in Jharkhand that are covered by BSRTC buses are Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Madhubani, Bokaro
- Uttar pradesh:Lucknow, Varanasi.
Popular Pilgrimage Destinations with BSRTC
Bihar attracts both national and foreign tourists throughout the year. Therefore, a BSRTC bus from BSRTC will help your cause. Some famous pilgrimage destinations covered by BSRTC include Bodh Gaya, Vaishali, Rajgir, Nalanda, Patna, Buddhist Circuit, Ranchi, Deoghar, Rajrappa, and Shikharji. However, BSRTC also provides its service to other intrastates. You can get the bus to neighbouring state cities like Delhi, Agra, Lucknow, and Kathmandu. Here is a list of famous places you can visit with BSRTC buses.
- Bodhgaya: Bodhgaya is home to the Mahabodhi Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This ancient temple houses the sacred Bodhi Tree, under which Buddha is said to have attained enlightenment. The massive, intricate stone temple and its surroundings evoke an atmosphere of tranquility and reverence, attracting millions of Buddhists and other visitors from around the world.
- Rajgir: Rajgir, another important pilgrimage destination in Bihar, holds historical significance in both Buddhism and Jainism. It was the first capital of the ancient kingdom of Magadha, a significant empire in Indian history that later evolved into the Mauryan Empire. Rajgir is home to various ancient ruins and holy sites, including the Vulture Peak, where Buddha is said to have delivered many of his discourses.
- Vaishali: Vaishali, named after King Vishal, is another destination in Bihar with a rich history. It is famous as the birthplace of Lord Mahavira, the last Jain Tirthankara. Furthermore, it is said to be the location where Buddha delivered his last sermon.
- Patna: The city of Patna, the capital of Bihar, also holds a significant place in Sikhism as it is the birthplace of the tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh. The city houses one of the holiest Sikh shrines, Harmandir Sahib, commonly known as Patna Sahib. The city is also home to many other historical and religious attractions, including the Patna Museum, Golghar, and Kumhrar.
- Maner Sharif, Maner: Maner Sharif houses the Sufi mausoleum of Makhdoom Yahya Maneri and Shah Daulat, making it an important center for Muslim pilgrimage.
- Bihar Sharif, Nalanda: Known for its Sufi heritage, Bihar Sharif is home to numerous Muslim shrines, including the Makhdum Shah Sharif-ud-din Mosque and Tomb, and the Khanqah Emadia Mosque, making it a significant Muslim pilgrimage destination.