Chennai is the capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal. It is the fourth most populous city in India and is a major cultural, economic, and educational centre in the country. Chennai is known for its rich history and culture. It is home to many historical landmarks and cultural sites, including the Fort St. George, Kapaleeshwarar Temple, and San Thome Basilica.
Chennai is a major industrial and commercial centre in India and is known for its thriving economy. The city is home to many educational institutions, including the Indian Institute of Technology and the University of Madras. Chennai is also a hub for the Indian film industry and is known for its vibrant arts and culture scene.
Chennai is a diverse and cosmopolitan city, and it is known for its friendly people and rich culture. The city is home to many cultural events and festivals throughout the year, and it is a great place to experience the rich traditions of Tamil Nadu.
Chennai city is rich in historical monuments that remind the architectural skills of the British Era. While being one of the busiest cities in the country, it has a significant portion of the automobile industry of India. As it houses IT companies and various sectors, there is a steady stream of commuters to the city. Chennai bus station CMBT stays busy throughout the year with heavy bookings on the bus to Chennai and for any bus from Chennai to other cities and states.
Important routes to and from Chennai
- Chennai-Salem: The distance between Chennai and Salem is just over 342 km taking 4-5 hours, and the base ticket rate is around Rs.260 in TNSTC and Rs. 500 in private buses.
- Chennai-Coimbatore: It takes about 7-8 hours to cover a distance of 510 km with bus ticket rates starting at Rs. 510 for RTC buses and Rs. 700 for private AC buses.
- Chennai-Madurai: The distance between these two cities of Tamil Nadu is 460kms which is covered in about 8 hours with a minimum bus fare starting from Rs. 450 in TNSTC and Rs.500 in private buses.
- Chennai-Erode: This bus route is approximately 410 km, covered in 6-8 hordes depending on the operator, with a base fare starting at Rs. 407 for RTC buses and Rs. 666 for AC private buses.
- Chennai-Tiruchirapalli: 329 km from Chennai to Tiruchirapalli could be covered in 5-6 hours with a minimal bus fare of Rs. 330 in RTC and Rs. 660 in private AC buses.
Popular Buses to and from Chennai
- Universal Travels
Address in the city: No:70, Omni Bus Stand Koyambedu, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Pin: 600107
Contact No: 9842221926
Average ticket price: Rs. 420
Their most popular operating routes from Chennai are Pondicherry, Chidambaram, and Velankanni. The amenities available include water bottles, a blanket, mobile charging port, reclining seats, LCD TV, etc.
- Parveen Travels
Address: AB Towers, #148, Perambur Barracks Road, Purasawalkam, Chennai - 600 007, Tamil Nadu, South India.
Contact No: +91 44 2661 5200 / 98409 62199
Average bus fare: Rs. 550
The popular destinations for their services are Madurai, Coimbatore, Aluva, Villupuram, Tindivanam, etc. Their services include a mobile charging port, blanket, hand sanitisers, reading lights, and live tracking of the bus.
- National Travels Chennai
Address in the city: Shop No:10, Omni Bus Terminals, Koyembedu,chennai-600 107,
Contact No: 044 24793244/9841584482/9841584410
Average bus fare: Rs. 450
Their popular routes from Chennai are to Tiruchirapalli, Madurai, and Salem. The expected amenities are water bottles, blankets, pillows, reading lights, charging ports, tracking, etc.
- SRM Travels
Address in the city: SRM Transport India Pvt Ltd, No.3 Veerasamy Street, West Mambalam, Chennai-33
Contact No: 9840211094
Average bus fare: 331
The operator provides all the basic amenities and WiFi facilities inside the buses. The most popular routes by this operator are Madurai, Thiruchirappalli, and Tirunelveli.
- MGM Travels
Address in the city: Shop No:13, OmniBus Terminus, Koyambedu, Chennai – 600 107.
Contact No: 044 2479 1310
Average Fare: Rs. 600-700
The popular operating routes for this travel are Namagiripettai, Attur, and Rasipuram. The bus comes with all the basic amenities with AC/Non-Ac options.
Boarding and Dropping Points in Chennai
The standard boarding and dropping points in Chennai city are:
- Airport bus stand
- Anna Arch
- Ashok Nagar
There are other points which often differ with the bus operator. For example, a cab or auto would take you to the nearest boarding point from the city centre.
Important Locations to visit in Chennai
Chennai is the capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, and it is known for its rich culture and history. Here are some places you may want to visit in Chennai:
- Marina Beach: This is a long and beautiful beach located in the heart of the city and is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike.
- Fort St. George: This is a historic fort that was built in the 17th century, and it is now a popular tourist attraction in Chennai.
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple: This is a beautiful temple that is dedicated to Lord Shiva, and it is a popular place of worship for Hindus.
- Government Museum: This is a large museum that displays the history and culture of the region, and it is a great place to learn about the local history.
- Valluvar Kottam: This is a large auditorium dedicated to the poet-saint Tiruvalluvar, a famous cultural centre in Chennai.
- San Thome Basilica: This is a beautiful church that was built in the 16th century, and it is now a popular tourist attraction in Chennai.
- Guindy National Park: This is a large national park that is home to a wide variety of animals, including deer, jackals, and birds.
- Santhome Cathedral: Built over the tomb of an apostle of Jesus, this Cathedral made by the Portuguese is one of the must-visit spots in the city.
- Fort St. George: The fort is where the current state legislative assembly is housed.
- MGR Film City: A recently built film city in memory of actor MGR, this is a popular tourist spot for all.
There are many other exciting places to visit in Chennai, and these are just a few examples.
Book your ticket in advance, especially during peak travel, is always a good idea to ensure you get a seat on the bus. You can also choose a wide range of bus types and routes depending on your preferences and budget.
Chennai bus tickets are readily available online and are not tough to get. Multiple bus operators operate thousands of buses daily across the state and neighbouring states. Most buses have a 2+1 seating arrangement and include the needed amenities.