OSRTC refers to the Odisha State Road Transport Corporation. It is a state-owned entity that began its operations in 1974 and is headquartered in Bhubaneshwar. OSRTC primarily serves the state of Odisha and has services covering West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh.
OSRTC - Odisha State Road Transport Corporation currently operates a fleet of more than 460 buses spread out through 23 depots, including Angul, Cuttack, Rourkela, Bargarh, Rayagada, and Jeypore. This RTC has a long list of awards and accolades, including the SKOCH Order-of-Merit 2019 for GPRS/RFID-based ticket machines and the SKOCH Order-of-Merit 2018 for web-based ticketing systems through apps. OSRTC is well-known for its technological advances, low operation cost, and high affordability.
Amenities on OSRTC - Odisha State Road Transport Corporation
OSRTC is known for its safe operations and ability to accommodate a range of budgets. Here are some of the amenities you can expect on board, depending on which type of bus you make a reservation for:
- Reclining seats
- Emergency exits
- Fire extinguishers
- Water bottles
- Window curtains
- Luggage racks
- Bottle holders
- Arm and leg-rests
- Charging points
- Reading lights
- Entertainment service
Popular Routes by OSRTC Buses
The Odisha State Road Transport Corporation (OSRTC) provides bus services within Odisha and some routes connecting West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. When making an OSRTC bus booking, some of the most popular routes that will be covered are:
- Koraput to Jeypore: The distance between Koraput and Jeypore by road is approximately 24 kilometres (14.9 miles), cutting through the Jeypore Ghat. It takes a little under an hour to cover the distance by road.
- Bhubaneshwar to Cuttack: The route between Bhubaneshwar and Cuttack is approximately 25 kilometres (15.53 miles) long. It can be covered in around 45 minutes by road during perfect traffic conditions.
- Khordha to Bhubaneshwar: The fastest route from Khordha to Bhubaneshwar is approximately 26 kilometres (16.1 miles) and takes around 40 minutes to cover by road.
- Bhubaneswar to Puri: This is a popular route for tourists visiting the holy city of Puri, known for its ancient temples and beaches.
- Bhubaneswar to Sambalpur: This route passes through the picturesque Western Ghats and offers beautiful views of the surrounding landscape.
- Bhubaneswar to Rourkela: This route passes through the districts of Sundargarh and Jharsuguda and is popular among travellers.
- Bhubaneswar to Berhampur: This route passes through the districts of Ganjam and Gajapati and is popular among travellers.
Other popular OSRTC routes are Gunupur to Visakhapatnam, Kolkata to Cuttack, and Digapahandi to Bhubaneshwar.
In addition to these routes, OSRTC operates buses to various other destinations within Odisha and neighbouring states. You can check the complete list of routes and schedules on the OSRTC website. So what are you waiting for? Book your OSRTC bus ticket today with redBus.
Types of OSRTC Buses
The Odisha State Road Transport Corporation prioritizes catering to varying budgets while providing accessible travel opportunities. To that end, travellers wishing to get around Odisha can pick from the following bus types when making their OSRTC bus ticket booking:
- Non-AC Seater: This 2 + 2 OSRTC bus type is ideal for covering short distances with enough space between passengers.
- Deluxe: This OSRTC bus type is a luxury coach. It has a seating plan of 2 + 2 to allow passengers to stretch their legs comfortably and travel safely.
- Volvo: This bus type from Volvo has high-end amenities, including reclining seats and air-conditioning.
- AC Seater: The AC seater bus type comes in a 2 + 3 seating plan to accommodate more passengers without sacrificing comfort and affordability.
In addition to these buses, OSRTC also operates special bus services for tourists, such as sightseeing and package tours. You can check the availability and schedules of these buses on the redBus or by contacting redBus customer care.
Popular Cities Served by OSRTC Buses
- Odisha Road Transport Corporation deploys buses along many intrastate and inter-state routes popular with travellers. Here are the most-frequented cities that you can consider booking an OSRTC bus ticket for:
- Cuttack: Cuttack is a peninsula flanked by two major rivers. It is historically significant and is home to the Barabati Fort, which dates back to the Eastern Ganga dynasty.
- Bargarh: Bargarh is perched on the western border of Odisha. It is known for being a cultivator of paddy and is often referred to as the “Bhata Handi” of the state.
- Khordha: Khordha was formed relatively recently after the district of Puri was split into Puri, Nayagarh, and Khordha in 1993. It is only a short distance from Bhubaneshwar, so travellers frequently travel between the two.
- Jeypore: Jeypore is a city in the Koraput district and was established between 1648 and 1649, having been ruled by the legendary Suryavansh dynasty. The city has a history of royalty and colonial rule that travellers can dig into.
Popular Pilgrimage Destinations with Odisha State Road Transport Corporation
Odisha has a unique collection of magnificent temples, peaceful beaches, exquisite wildlife, and natural parks. This state is nothing less than a treasure for travellers to explore.
- Jagannath Temple Puri: This 11th-century temple is one of the most renowned in the country and one of the four pilgrimage centres in the sacred Char Dham abodes. The temple can be reached by bus from Cuttack, Asansol, and Durgapur, among others.
- Konark Sun Temple: This 13th-century temple is one of the most recognizable symbols of Kalinga architecture and a popular pilgrimage site for Hindus. It is about 35 kilometres (22 miles) away from Puri and can easily reach by bus.
- Lingaraja Temple: This is one of the oldest temples in Bhubaneshwar and one of its most prominent landmarks. The temple dates back to 1000 AD and consists of carved towers, stony courtyards, and multiple shrines.