OSRTC refers to the Odisha State Road Transport Corporation. It is a state-owned entity that began operations in 1974 and is headquartered in Bhubaneshwar. The RTC primarily serves the state of Odisha but also has services covering West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh.
The OSRTC currently operates a fleet of more than 460 buses spread out through 23 depots including Angul, Cuttack, Rourkela, Bargarh, Rayagada, and Jeypore. This RTC has a long list of awards and accolades, including the SKOCH Order-of-Merit 2019 for GPRS/RFID-based ticket machines and the SKOCH Order-of-Merit 2018 for web-based ticketing systems through apps. The OSRTC is well-known for its technological advances as well as its low cost of operation and high affordability.
Amenities on OSRTC
The OSRTC is distinguished for its safe operations as well as its ability to cater to a range of budgets. Here are some amenities you can expect onboard an OSRTC bus, depending on which type of bus you make a reservation on:
- Reclining seats
- Emergency exits
- Fire extinguishers
- Water bottles
- Window curtains
- Luggage racks
- Bottle holders
- Arm and leg-rests
- Charging points
- Reading lights
- Entertainment services
Popular Routes by OSRTC Buses
The OSRTC services all of Odisha as well as some routes connecting West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. When making an OSRTC bus booking, here are some popular routes that previous travellers chose:
- Bhubaneshwar to Cuttack: The route between Bhubaneshwar and Cuttack is approximately 25 kilometres (15.53 miles) long. It can be covered in around 45 minutes by road during perfect traffic conditions.
- Koraput to Jeypore: The distance between Koraput and Jeypore by road is approximately 24 kilometres (14.9 miles), cutting through the Jeypore Ghat. It takes a little under an hour to cover the distance by road.
- Khordha to Bhubaneshwar: The fastest route from Khordha to Bhubaneshwar is approximately 26 kilometres (16.1 miles) and takes around 40 minutes to cover by road.
Types of OSRTC Buses
The OSRTC prioritises catering to varying budgets while also providing accessible travel opportunities. To that end, travellers wishing to get around Odisha can pick from the following bus types when making their OSRTC bus ticket booking:
- Non-AC Seater: This 2 + 2 OSRTC bus type is ideal for covering short distances with enough space between passengers.
- Deluxe: This OSRTC bus type is a luxury coach. It has a seating plan of 2 + 2 to allow passengers to stretch their legs comfortably and travel in peace.
- Volvo: This bus type from Volvo has high-end amenities including reclining seats and air-conditioning.
- AC Seater: The AC seater bus type comes in a 2 + 3 seating plan to accommodate more passengers without sacrificing on comfort and affordability.
Popular Cities Served by OSRTC Buses
The OSRTC deploys buses along many intra and inter-state routes that are popular with travellers. Here are the most-frequented cities that you can consider booking an OSRTC bus ticket for:
- Cuttack: The city of Cuttack is a peninsula flanked by two major rivers. It is historically significant and continues to be home to the Barabati Fort that dates back to the Eastern Ganga dynasty.
- Bargarh: Bargarh is perched on the western border of Odisha. It is known for being a cultivator of paddy and is often referred to as the “Bhata Handi” of the state.
- Khordha: Khordha was formed relatively recently, after the district of Puri was split into Puri, Nayagarh and Khordha in 1993. It is only a short distance away from Bhubaneshwar, so travellers frequently shuttle between the two.
- Jeypore: Jeypore is a city in the Koraput district and was established between 1648 and 1649, having been ruled by the legendary Suryavansh dynasty. The city has a history of royalty and colonial rule that travellers can dig into.
Popular Pilgrimage Destinations with OSRTC
- Jagannath Temple Puri: This 11th-century temple is one of the most renowned in the country and one of the four pilgrimage centres in the sacred Char Dham abodes. The temple can be reached by bus from Cuttack, Asansol and Durgapur among others.
- Konark Sun Temple: This 13th-century temple is one of the most recognisable symbols of Kalinga architecture and a popular pilgrimage site for Hindus. It is about 35 kilometres (22 miles) away from Puri and can be easily reached by bus.
- Lingaraja Temple: This is one of the oldest temples in Bhubaneshwar and one of its most prominent landmarks. The temple dates back to 1000 AD and consists of carved towers, stony courtyards and multiple shrines.
How to Book an OSRTC bus with redBus
To make reserving an OSRTC bus ticket more convenient, the process of booking is outlined here:
- Head to the redBus home page
- Enter your pick-up point, drop-off point and date of travel
- Click on “search buses” to be shown a list of buses on the selected date and route
- Click on the “filters” option on the right-hand side of the page
- Filter the bus list by your preferred operator, budget, bus type or amenities
- Select the bus you prefer and click to proceed
- Choose the seats you prefer if available; if not, pick the available seats
- Click on “continue”
- Enter your registration details
- Select your preferred mode of payment and continue to the next stage
- Enter your payment details after confirming that your ticket details are correct
- Finish processing your payment as directed
- Go to your email for your e-ticket, making sure to check the junk and spam folders
- Check your mobile phone for an M-ticket if available for the bus type you chose
Is it safe to travel in Odisha right now?
Odisha is a wonderful place with a unique collection of magnificent temples, peaceful beaches, and exquisite wildlife and natural parks. This state is nothing less than a treasure for travelers to explore. Though the pandemic hit the state with a total of 9,32,330 COVID cases, the good news is that more than 9,00,282 cases out of them have recovered fully till now. The cases are decreasing, with the current numbers being around 20K. However, due to the second wave of Covid-19, new travel restrictions are imposed by the Odisha government on traveling interstate. One can check Odisha Travel Guidelines for more information. Passengers can book the OSRTC (Odisha State Road Transport Corporation) buses in advance on redBus to travel in and around Odisha.