WBSTC comes under the Government of India and the Right to Information Act, which highlights its transparency. It has completed seventy plus years of service. The Calcutta State Transport Corporation (CSTC) was also merged with WBTC. WBSTC, CTC and CSTC were merged together with the new operational name WBTC in 2016. At present, the WBTC has a fleet of over 1300 buses that includes 400 plus air-conditioned buses. WBTC also provided ferry services throughout the state for tourists and travellers.
WBSTC spent over 9 crores to establish an On-Bus Intelligent Transport System (OBITS), Automatic Fare Collection System (AFCS), where the passengers were provided with a smart card. In this budget of over 9 crores, they also developed an application called Pathadisha for information on buses. They have also indulge themselves in safety campaigns like Safe Drive Save Life and were also a part of the famous Green Movement in India. Passengers can book WBSTC tickets online conveniently on redBus for their desired routes and type of bus.
Amenities on WBTC
WBTC provides all the basic amenities for passengers. It also provides comfortable seats and luxurious facilities on some of its luxurious buses. They are also known for their fast and frequent service across the state. The amenities provided by WBTC are as follows:
- Water bottle
- Charging point
- Studying light
- Dedicated application and emergency support system
- OBITS & AFCS
Popular Travel Routes
WBTC buses cover a total of 49 routes (approximately) across the state on a daily basis. It covers many major cities and tourist hotspots, some of the popular routes covered by WBTC are as follows:
- Calcutta to Digha
- Digha to Calcutta
- Mandarmani to Calcutta
- Calcutta to Nandigram
- Bakkhali to Calcutta
- Calcutta to Bakkhali
- Calcutta to Mandarmani
Types of WBSTC Buses
WBTC runs various types of buses with different fares. Anyone can book tickets according to his/her requirements. The types of buses run by WBTC are as follows:
- Ordinary buses are not air-conditioned and come with 2+3 seats. They have very minimal fares but are equipped with a smart location display on screen for the convenience of the passengers.
- Air-conditioned buses with 2+3 seating layout with comfortable seats at a very economical price. This type of bus does not contain any sleeper seats.
- Air-conditioned buses with more space and adjustable seats. The buses are seater buses with a 2+2 seating layout. There are not any sleeper seats as the buses run only in West Bengal. However, the seats are luxurious and spacy. They are also preferred for a fast and safe journey from source to destination.
Popular Cities Covered by WBSTC
WBTC covers many cities throughout West Bengal and the neighbouring states. Below is a list of the top cities covered by WBTC bus:
Popular Pilgrimage Destinations with WBSTC
West Bengal is famous for pilgrimage sites. There are many cities like Mayapur, Navadvipa, Midnapore, Siliguri, Sagardwip, etc. which are visited by pilgrimage seekers. There are many beautiful places of interest like The Land of Krishna Devotion in Navadvipa, Salugara Monastery, and ISKCON temple in Siliguri, heritage sites in Midnapore, etc.
The Ganga Sagar Mela is conducted every year in West Bengal. WBTC plays a huge role in the conveyance of the visitors. More than two lakh tickets were sold by WBTC in the Ganga Sagar Mela 2020. WBTC has worked for a lot of years and has proved itself time and again.
Safety Measures Followed on WBSTCs during COVID-19
In the wake of COVID-19, a lot of initiatives are being taken by WBTC to ensure safe travel. There are several added facilities and measures which are implemented without any effect on the bus fare. The safety measures are as follows:
- Thermal screening of passengers will be done before they board the bus in order to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- The staff members are fully checked and are free of any infection. The staff members always wear a mask.
- Sanitizers and hand wash are provided by the operator during the journey to the passengers.
- The buses of WBTC avoid unnecessary stops and are sanitized from time to time.
- All the guidelines form the Government of India and the state government are strictly followed.
- Blankets are removed from the basic amenities in order to stop the infection; passengers are requested to bring their own blankets.
- Passengers are also requested to wear a mask and support in all the safety measures taken for their own good by WBTC.
For the latest Covid-19 updates in West Bengal, travelers can visit West Bengal Travel Restrictions before commencing their journey by WBSTC bus.