ASTC Online Reservation
The ASTC refers to the Assam State Transport Corporation. It was established in 1950 under the requirements of the Road Transport Corporation Act 1950. It is headquartered in Guwahati but has divisional offices in Nagaon, Jorhat, and Tezpur among other towns.
In urban and rural areas, ASTC operates a fleet of over 1,100 buses. More than 12,000 private-owned buses also run under the ASTC banner. The fleet covers rural and hilly routes, highways, and city roads within Assam. It also provides transportation services to the neighbouring states. In total, the ASTC services 135 bus stations and three inter-state bus depots.
The ASTC has undertaken a promise to fulfil one of the UN Sustainable development Goals. In particular, it aims to provide access to safe, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems for all. It also hopes to enhance road safety by expanding public transport with special attention to the needs of vulnerable groups, children, women, the elderly and people with disabilities.
Amenities on ASTC
The ASTC provides a range of amenities to suit the preferences of varying budgets and groups of travellers. Not all amenities are available on all routes. Some of the amenities you can expect to enjoy, depending on the ASTC bus you have booked, are:
- Reclining seats
- Blankets and pillows
- Reading lights
- Charging points
- Emergency exits
- 24/7 call centre support
- Glass-breaking hammers
The ASTC primarily services the state of Assam, ensuring connectivity between bigger cities and smaller towns. When making an ASTC bus booking, past travellers have chosen the following highly-frequented routes:
- Guwahati to Jorhat: The distance between Guwahati and Jorhat is 300 kilometres (186.4 miles) on average. It can be covered by bus within 7 hours.
- Tezpur to Guwahati: The fastest route connecting Tezpur and Guwahati is 175 kilometres (108.7 miles) long. It may take an average of 4 hours to cover the route by bus.
- Guwahati to Dergaon: The route between these two cities via National Highways is more than 280 kilometres (174 miles). On average, it takes 6 hours to cover by road.
- Guwahati to Borjhar: This is one of the shortest routes that can be covered by road, being only 25 kilometres (15.5 miles) long, and takes a maximum of 45 minutes to cover. The Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport can be reached by taking this route.
Types of ASTC Buses
The ASTC has a variety of bus types in its fleet, to cater to passenger budgets as well as the different terrains that buses may have to traverse. You can pick from the following when making an ASTC bus ticket booking online:
- AC Seater: This air-conditioned ASTC bus type has a 2+ 1 seating plan to ensure passengers travel in comfort.
- Volvo: AC seaters from Volvo ensure passengers travel in comfort without being jostled by changes in terrain and road conditions.
- Non-AC Seater: This ASTC bus type has push-back seats to make even the shortest of journeys comfortable.
- Airport Bus: This special ASTC bus connects Guwahati to the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, with different routes covering areas such as Adabari, Bharalumukh and Nepali Mandir.
Travellers making an ASTC online booking can visit the following popular cities in Assam and neighbouring states:
- Guwahati: This sprawling city is located next to the mighty Brahmaputra river in Assam. It is most known for the variety of holy sites it is home to, including the 18th-century Navagraha Temple and the Kamakhya Temple.
- Shillong: A wildly popular tourist destination attracting travellers from all over the country, Shillong is a hill station and the capital city of Meghalaya. The city is best known for its lush natural landscapes, Lady Hydari Park and the Shillong Peak.
- Dibrugarh: This industrial city is surrounded by lush tea estates that Assam is globally renowned for. The primary draw of the city is the Radha Krishna Mandir and the Dibru Saikhowa National Park.
Popular Pilgrimage Destinations with APSRTC
Assam has many holy pilgrimage sites that visitors from all over the country flock to. Here are some of the more popular ones that you can board an ASTC bus to:
- Kamakhya Temple: This is a Hindu temple dedicated to the Goddess Kamakhya. The main complex is home to 10 temples, each dedicated to the 10 Mahavidyas of Shaktism. The temple complex displays a hybrid of architectural styles.
- Navagraha Temple: This ancient temple was originally built, as the name suggests, to study the nine celestial bodies as described by Hindu scriptures. The temple was said to be built in 1752 AD; today, it also serves as a research centre for astronomy and astrology.
- Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib: This stunning Gurudwara is regularly visited by Sikh pilgrims from all over the country. It is located in Dhubri, on the banks of the Brahmaputra.
- Basistha Ashram: This Ashram is said to have been the hermitage of the great Sage Vashisht. The Janardan Devalaya within the Ashram walls is dedicated to Lord Vishnu; the Ashram itself is set in a naturally scenic area flanked by rivulets.
How to Book an ASTC bus on redBus
Please follow the following steps to book your ASTC bus quickly and safely:
- Head to the redBus homepage
- Fill in your pick-up point, destination and date of travel, if applicable
- Use the “filters” option to re-arrange the bus list by bus type, operator, route, budget or amenities
- Select your preferred bus and continue
- Choose the seats you want, if available, or accept the selection provided by the tool
- Proceed to the payments page
- Fill in your registration details
- Select your preferred mode of payment and continue
- Verify your ticket details before completing the selected payment process
- Ensure you see the confirmation page before closing the tab
- Check your email for your e-ticket, or your phone for your M-ticket if applicable
Safety Measures Followed on RTCs during COVID-19
The ASTC is dedicated to ensuring their passengers travel in safe and sanitised conditions. They take care to wear masks and protective equipment. Buses are sanitised from the inside out, and seats are wiped down with disinfectant after every journey. Social distancing regulations are maintained at all times; passengers are also asked to wear masks and use sanitisers as much as possible to reduce the risk of infection.
Book your ASTC bus with redBus to unlock a world of convenience, safety and great deals at your fingertips. We wish you safe and happy travels.