PRTC refers to the Puducherry Road Transport Corporation. It was founded in 1988 as the Pondicherry Tourism Development Corporation (PTDC). However, the entity was bifurcated to tackle transport and tourism separately. The Government of Puducherry currently runs the PRTC. PRTC services Puducherry's union territory, including Mahé, Karaikal, Yanam, and Pondicherry.
Puducherry Road Transport Corporation( PRTC) currently owns a fleet of over 140 inter-state and intra-state buses that service 55 routes. Its focus is to connect towns and cities in the union territory and Tamil Nadu state to Puducherry. Some buses also travel to popular cities, such as Bengaluru and Tirupati, in neighbouring states. You can book PRTC online bus tickets safely and easily on redBus. PRTC buses travel to many cities of neighbouring states like Chennai, Tindivanam, Coimbatore, Tirupati, Koyambedu, etc. Passengers have to adhere to the travel guidelines laid by the Puducherry government.
Amenities on Puducherry Road Transport Corporation (PRTC) Buses
PRTC, or Puducherry Road Transport Corporation, offers a range of buses to accommodate its passengers' desired facilities, budgets, and demands. As a result, the amenities available aboard a PRTC bus will vary based on your reservation class. Here is a broad list of features to keep an eye out for:
- Push-back seats
- Overhead luggage racks
- Luggage storage cabins
- Blankets and pillows
- Window curtains
- Water bottles
- Cellphone charging points
- Glass-breaking hammer
- Fire extinguisher
Most Popular Bus Routes with Puducherry Road Transport Corporation PRTC
To make your PRTC bus booking, you should know the most popular routes covered by PRTC buses. And what is the frequency of PRTC buses? With redBus, you can check the serviced routes by different Puducherry Road transport corporations' buses, with the PRTC bus timing, bus frequency, routes, and much more. Please note that these routes are serviced by different buses and at various times, so you might not see all of them for your date of travel. However, here are some routes that frequent travellers prefer:
- Puducherry to Chennai: The Puducherry to Chennai route is approximately 165 kilometres (102.53 miles) long. By bus, it usually takes an average of 3 hours to cover.
- Tindivanam to Puducherry: This route is one of the shortest ones serviced by the PRTC, as the distance between Tindivanam and Puducherry is an average of 40 kilometres (24.85 miles). It can be covered in approximately one hour by bus.
- Coimbatore to Puducherry: The distance between Coimbatore and Puducherry by road is approximately 400 kilometres (248.5 miles). It takes an average of 7.5 hours to cover this distance by bus.
- Puducherry to Tirupati: The Puducherry-Tirupati route is an average of 250 kilometres (155.3 miles). It usually takes up to 6 hours by bus to reach the final destination.
Types of PRTC Buses
The PRTC - Puducherry Road Transport Corporation bus fleet comprises various bus types from the most prominent brands, such as Ashok Leyland, Volvo, and Scania bus. Here are the popular types of PRTC buses you can choose when making a PRTC online reservation on redBus:
- PRTC AC 2 + 2 Bus : This bus type is fully air-conditioned, with air vents for each seat. The 2 + 2 seating plan ensures ample leg space.
- PRTC Ultra-Deluxe Push Back Bus : You can comfortably recline your seats to settle in or nap on this bus. The seats have enough distance between them to prevent cramped legs.
- PRTC Express Bus: The 3 + 2 seating plan allows more passengers to travel simultaneously without compromising comfort.
Popular Cities covered by PRTC
Puducherry Road Transport Corporation( PRTC) primarily services the Puducherry Union Territory and the state of Tamil Nadu. Here are some popular cities for which you can make a PRTC online booking:
- Nagercoil: Nagercoil is perched close to the tip of the Indian peninsula in the Kanyakumari district. The serene town is a natural wonderland with tourist destinations, including Kanyakumari Wildlife Sanctuary, Thiruparrapu Waterfalls, and the Vivekananda Rock Memorial.
- Chennai: Tamil Nadu's capital city is a historically significant part of India, having served as the East India Company outpost during the British Raj. The city is home to several monuments and architectural marvels, including Fort St. George and the 17th-century Anglican church, Saint Mary’s.
- Bengaluru: Also called the Garden City and the Silicon Valley of India, Bengaluru is the capital city of Karnataka. Puducherry sees frequent travellers to and from this city as it is a hotspot for business and entertainment.
Popular Pilgrimage Destinations with PRTC
Pondicherry is the most popular tourist place, famous for its beaches and french cuisine. You can visit many places in and around Puducherry: the Aurobindo ashram, Auroville, Aayi Mandapam, Manakula Vinayagar Temple, and much more. PRTC buses are ideal for travelling to the other state pilgrimage destination as well; you can visit Puducherry to Tirupati, Puducherry to Mylapore, and much more,
- Tirupati: Tirupati is a revered pilgrimage site in Andhra Pradesh. It is best known for the Sri Venkateshwara Temple, nestled in seven Tirumala Hills peaks. In addition, the Chandragiri Fort and Sri Venkateshwara National Park are popular tourist attractions.
- Kapaleeswarar Temple: A Hindu temple built in the name of Lord Shiva, the Kapaleeswarar Temple is situated in Mylapore, Chennai. It is a minimum 6-hour journey from Pondicherry by bus and is a stone’s throw away from the Bay of Bengal coastline.