Rann Utsav is a festival of crafts, art, music, dance, food, nature and the people of Kutch attended by thousands of people every year. This annual festival celebrates the rich heritage of the ecologically and ethnically diverse land of Kutch district, Gujarat. Celebrated amid the white desert during winter, this carnival offers several adventure activities, tours and markets where one can discover the rich cultural cornucopia of the Kutchi people.
Origin, History and Significance of Rann Utsav
The Rann festival, an initiative of Gujarat Tourism, was founded in 2006 and inaugurated by the then Chief Minister and incumbent Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. The festival commenced with the objective of flourishing the tourism industry by attracting a global audience to Gujarat. The festivities take place every year during winter in the White Rann. Initially, a three-day event, Rann Utsav has turned into a 100 days celebration owing to popular demand.
The Rann of Kutch is one of the largest salt marshes in the world, located in the Thar Desert. It spans across the border of India and Pakistan, mostly in the district of Kutch, Gujarat. The Government of Gujarat undertook the Rann festival celebrations, providing an opportunity to people globally to bask in the exquisiteness of the landscapes and Kutchi culture.
When is Rann Utsav Celebrated
Rann Utsav, organised by the Tourism Department of Gujarat, takes place in winter, between October and February. The festival was initially celebrated for three days but has bloomed into a 3-month long carnival. The crisp air, moonlit sky and the white desert, lit in the moonlight make this time the most ideal for the conduct of the festivities.
Rann Utsav 2022 is set to take place between November 1, 2021, and February 20, 2022. With the fast-approaching Rann Utsav 2022 dates, you can get started with your Rann Utsav booking immediately. The best time to visit is during the full moon.
How is Rann Utsav Celebrated and Where to Go
Rann Utsav is a carnival of art, culture, crafts, cuisine, music and nature, all bringing out the uniqueness of Kutchi traditions. An event organised by the Tourism Department, the festival offers various adventurous activities, avenues for shopping, sightseeing and discovering the rich local heritage.
The majority of festivities take place in Bhuj and a small village called Dhordo, both in Kutch district. Here are some of the things you can look forward to at Rann Utsav 2022:
- Full Moon Night - The white expanse of Rann glistening in the moonlight and the starlit sky is a truly breathtaking sight. While making your Rann Utsav booking, be sure to look at the dates of the full moon as it is a sight you do not want to miss.
- Sightseeing - Apart from the surreal landscapes of the white salt marsh desert, various tours are organised for travellers to go out and explore the beauty of Kutch. There are villages nearby where you can witness first hand the indigenous craftsmen at work, temples, wildlife sanctuaries, the picturesque Mandvi Beach and numerous stalls.
- Adventure Activities - The festival offers a wide array of activities like paramotoring, zipline, ATV rides, desert safaris and camel rides. The hot air balloon rides, with scenic views of the resplendent vibrant colours of the festivities amid the vast white desert, are sensational.
- Culture and Cuisine - There are numerous craft bazaars set up where locals can showcase their ethnic arts and crafts. Travellers often indulge in a shopping spree, picking up unique items like carvings, paintings, embroidered and bandhani garments and silver jewellery. There are magnanimous food halls and stalls for tourists to taste the delicious Kutchi cuisine.
- Dhordo Tent-City - Be sure to make reservations at the Tent City near Dhordo Village. It is a temporary human settlement with AC and non-AC tents that have amenities like room heaters, shopping complex, exhibition centre, round-the-clock hot water and dining halls.
Travelling to Bhuj from any part of the country has been facilitated by air, rail and bus. However, a bus is the most convenient and cheap option. Bhuj is only 84 kilometres from Dhordo. The most popular bus routes to Bhuj are from Ahmedabad, Bhachau, Udaipur, Indore, Surat, Jodhpur and Bhopal. Buses ply from Bhuj to Dhordo as well. You can make your bookings with redBus for a comfortable and safe travel experience.
Rann Utsav is a cornucopia of culture and nature, an event to celebrate the rich heritage of the Kutchi people. Check out the Rann Utsav 2022 dates and make your bookings with redBus to be a part of this extravaganza. You can book tickets online or on the redBus app for a comfortable and safe journey. At redBus, you can make secure digital payments, obtain details about the bus route, duration, seats and timings.
NOTE: In light of the recent Coronavirus pandemic, we at redBus would like to urge you to take all necessary precautions when you travel and follow every instruction provided by your local government. If you're not planning on travelling, practice social distancing and stay indoors to help slow down the spread of COVID-19 or the Coronavirus disease and prevent it from spreading any further. Stay safe!