Rakshabandhan is a festival that showcases traditional Hindu family values in the warmest gesture possible. Also known as Rakhi, the festival is marked by a bracelet that a sister ties around her brother’s wrist and prays for his health and well-being while the brother vows to protect her. This old ritual has its roots in Hindu mythology and is an important celebration throughout the country. Continue reading for all you need to know about it and gift ideas for Raksha Bandhan 2021.
From Sanskrit, the word Rakshabandhan translates to the ‘Bond of Protection.’ The ceremony involves the tying of the sacred thread or “rakhi” by the sister to her brother’s wrist. It stands for good health, prosperity, and protection of her brother from evil spirits. The Rakhi also solidifies the brother’s pledge to protect his sister for the rest of their lives. The festival also cherishes love and bondage between siblings. Tying rakhi is not only confined to siblings but also to close friends with whom they share brotherly love.
Some Stories behind the Rakshabandhan Festival
One of the most famous stories behind Rakshabandhan is when Krishna cuts his finger upon releasing the Sudarshan Chakra. Draupadi quickly acts by tearing a strip from her saree and bandages the wound. Moved by her gesture, Krishna promises to protect her from trouble at all odds.
Another historical event that signifies the Raksha Bandhan is when Purushottam, the King of Punjab, defeated Alexander. It is said that Alexander’s wife ties a rakhi to Purushottam to defend her husband from being killed.
How Rakhi is celebrated
The festival Raksha Bandhan in Hindi is also called Rakhi. The 2021 Raksha Bandhan is falling on the 22nd of August, and the ceremony time is between 5:50 AM to 5:58 PM. Since it is on the full moon of the period of Sravana, the sister has to collect all the ceremonial items such as Rakhi, Kumkum powder, Rice, Diya lamps, incense sticks, and sweets. With all the items in a thali (a large plate), the family makes offerings to their deity, and the sister ties Rakhi to the brother marking a dot on his forehead with kumkum powder.
The brother will then have to offer his sister a gift in return, along with sweets. The gift can be anything the brother chooses. These days Raksha Bandhan gifts are also exchanged by friends who celebrate the event.
Some Rakshabandhan Gift Ideas
While you may gift your sister anything she asks for, here are some of the most common Raksha Bandhan gifts for sister:
- A gift voucher from a fashionable top brand is one of the coolest things you can give your sister as when it comes to clothes or fashion accessories; it’s never enough! As their overflowing wardrobes can also stuff a few more dresses, your gift voucher will be highly appreciated this 2021 Raksha Bandhan.
- What holds for clothes also goes with footwear and handbags. Their heels and clutches must be a perfect match for the clothes they wear; hence they need just as much variety to complement their wardrobe. A great gifting idea would be to take her out shopping or give her a gift voucher of her favorite brand.
- There are probably only a few things your sister would love more than to indulge in some great food, not minding the calories. Take her out on a dinner date to her favorite restaurant and let her have anything she wants!
- Gold has a temptation that no woman can resist. If your sister likes collecting gold jewelry or you want her to have some investment in the long run, gift her a gold bracelet, coin, or biscuit for this Raksha Bandhan 2021.
- Perfumes are another thing women find irresistible. If you’ve observed it, women always smell better than men! So yes, a range of perfumes is something your sister would love to have in her collection. On Rakhi 2021, gift her a fragrance she has always talked about but hasn’t had the time to buy or order it online for her.
- While it might seem counterintuitive that watches have gained popularity despite time being displayed practically everywhere, in reality, watches have become a fashion accessory. If you go through her wardrobe, you’d probably find a couple of branded timepieces. Like all other things, she would love to have one more in her collection.
- If you think she already has enough stuff, then why not give her an experience? You can start by gifting her a holiday or plan a sibling trip to the beach. More than things, experiences last with you for a lifetime, and all you need to do is book a bus ticket online, pack your stuff and get going!
One of the best gifts you can give your sister on Rakhi 2021 amid COVID-19 crisis is sending her favorite books or her favorite accessories! If her place allows you to travel, you can consider booking a Safety+ bus through redBus and give her a surprise. With redBus as your travel partner, you can rest assured you will have the most comfortable and safe journey to your destination with your choice of bus operator.
NOTE: In light of the recent Coronavirus pandemic, we at redBus would like to urge you to take all necessary precautions when you travel and follow every instruction provided by your local government. If you're not planning on traveling, practice social distancing and stay indoors to help slow down the spread of COVID-19 or the Coronavirus disease and prevent it from spreading any further. Stay safe!