Rakshabandhan is a festival that showcases traditional Hindu family values in the warmest gesture possible. Also known as Rakhi, the festival is marked by a bracelet that a sister ties around her brother’s wrist and prays for his health and well-being while the brother vows to protect her. This old ritual has its roots in Hindu mythology and is an important celebration throughout the country. Please continue reading for all you need to know about it and gift ideas for Raksha Bandhan 2023.
From Sanskrit, the word Rakshabandhan translates to the ‘Bond of Protection.’ The ceremony involves tying the sacred thread or “rakhi” by the sister to her brother’s wrist. It stands for good health, prosperity, and protection of her brother from evil spirits. The Rakhi also solidifies the brother’s pledge to protect his sister for the rest of their lives. The festival also cherishes love and bondage between siblings. Tying rakhi is confined to siblings and close friends with whom they share brotherly love.
Some Stories behind the Rakshabandhan Festival
One of the most famous stories behind Rakshabandhan is when Krishna cuts his finger upon releasing the Sudarshan Chakra. Draupadi quickly tore a strip from her saree and bandaged the wound. Moved by her gesture, Krishna promises to protect her from trouble at all odds.
Another historical event that signifies the Raksha Bandhan is when Purushottam, the King of Punjab, defeated Alexander. It is said that Alexander’s wife ties a rakhi to Purushottam to defend her husband from being killed.
How Rakhi is celebrated
The festival Raksha Bandhan in Hindi is also called Rakhi. The 2023 Raksha Bandhan falls on August 30. The Shukla Paksha full moon day in the Shravan month will begin at 10.38 am on, July 04. On August 30, Purnima Tithi will last until 7:05 am. Hence, Rakshabandhan will be celebrated on August 30. Since it is on the full moon of the period of Sravana, the sister has to collect all the ceremonial items such as Rakhi, Kumkum powder, Rice, Diya lamps, incense sticks, and sweets. With all the things in a thali (a large plate), the family makes offerings to their deity, and the sister ties Rakhi to the brother marking a dot on his forehead with kumkum powder.
The brother will then have to offer his sister a gift and sweets. The gift can be anything the brother chooses. These days, friends who celebrate the event exchange Raksha Bandhan gifts.
Some Rakshabandhan Gift Ideas
While you may gift your sister anything she asks for, here are some of the most common Raksha Bandhan gifts for a sister:
- A gift voucher from a fashionable top brand is one of the most incredible things you can give your site,r as when it comes to clothes or fashion accessories; it’s never enough! As their overflowing wardrobes can also stuff a few more dresses, your gift voucher will greatly appreciate this 2023 Raksha Bandhan.
- What holds for clothes also goes with footwear and handbags. Their heels and clutches must be a perfect match for their clothes; hence they need just as much variety to complement their wardrobe. A great gifting idea would be to take her out shopping or give her a gift voucher for her favourite brand.
- There are probably only a few things your sister would love more than to indulge in some great food, not minding the calories. So take her out on a dinner date to her favourite restaurant and let her have anything she wants!
- Gold has a temptation that no woman can resist. If your sister likes collecting gold jewellery or you want her to have some investment in the long run, gift her a gold bracelet, coin, or biscuit for this Raksha Bandhan 2023.
- Perfumes are another thing women find irresistible. If you’ve observed it, women always smell better than men! So yes, a range of perfumes is something your sister would love to have in her collection. So on Rakhi 2023, gift her a fragrance she has always talked about but hasn’t had the time to buy or order it online.
- While it might seem counterintuitive that watches have gained popularity despite time being displayed practically everywhere, in reality, eyes have become a fashion accessory. Going through her wardrobe, you’ll probably find some branded timepieces. Of course, like all other things, she would love to have one more in her collection.
- If you think she already has enough stuff, why not give her experience? You can start by gifting her a holiday or planning a sibling trip to the beach. More than things, experiences last with you for a lifetime, and all you need to do is book a bus ticket online, pack your stuff and get going!