Valentine's Day 2021
Whether you believe it’s just a corporate scheme or an actual day that comes once a year to celebrate love, Valentine ’s Day surprisingly has deep roots that go back to ancient Rome. The 14th of February is a special day for couples and families to express their love by sending messages and gifts to their loved ones. To kick it up a notch for Valentine’s day 2021, here are some creative gift ideas and places to visit with your significant other.
How did Valentine’s Day come to be?
Exactly how Valentine’s Day began is uncertain even for historians as there are many overlapping stories and events that occurred around the 14th of February and there are at least three saints by the name Valentine who existed during this period. The most accepted story is of Saint Valentine from the third century who was a Catholic priest in Rome. Long story short, around that time, Christianity was gaining popularity in Rome with many people converting into it. The Emperor at that time- Claudius II, who was a Pagan, didn’t like the Exodus and brought about strict laws restricting Christians along with laws that forbid Roman soldiers from marrying. He believed married men weren’t effective soldiers as their connections to their wives and families made them weak in battle.
St. Valentine would marry Roman soldiers in secret Christian ceremonies regardless of the law and eventually was caught and jailed. During his imprisonment, his jailor who believes St. Valentine had healing powers, brings his blind daughter over to restore her vision. According to legend, he cures her blindness and even falls in love with her eventually. Just before his execution he writes her a love message with the infamous sign “from your valentine.” It takes 200 more years before February 14th is called St. Valentine’s day.
Some ideas for Valentines Day 2021 Gifts
Valentine’s week can be quite stressful for a few as people struggle to figure out the right gift to give to their loved ones without much backlash. Valentine’s day gifts are an integral part of the celebration. While there are hundreds of ideas, here are three that are sure to leave a lasting impression:
- Scented Candles: Nothing elicits romance quite like scented candles. They set the perfect mood for a cozy dinner setting or in the bathtub or a relaxing massage. Some of the best scents include Lavender and pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie and doughnut, Lavender and donuts, etc. You can purchase these candles depending on your loved one’s preference or favorite flavor.
- Make a Photobook: Among the most unique valentines day ideas is the humble photobook that you personally made for your partner. Fill it up with memories and details such as photos, movie tickets, notes, and letters and anything else you might have shared with them and become the author of your own story.
- Custom Calendar: Pick some of your best photos from over the years and arrange them in the order of the month they were taken in. Each month can have your favorite photo as the calendar’s picture.
Romantic places to travel in India on Valentine's Day 2021
What’s better than gifts to celebrate with your special someone? A vacation during the valentines week somewhere romantic! Here are our top picks:
- Ooty, Tamil Nadu: Ooty has been the premier romantic destination in South India for decades being an all-season hill station. It’s famous for its sweeping picturesque landscapes filled with tea plantations, dense forests, beautiful lakes that are perfect for couples on a romantic getaway. Ooty can be reached from any of the neighboring cities by booking a simple online bus ticket.
- Havelock, Andaman Islands: To give one of the best Valentine’s day gifts to your significant other, visit Havelock Island in the Bay of Bengal. This tropical heaven is the perfect romantic getaway for anyone who loves sunshine, oceans, and clear beaches. The island is relatively untouched and is perfect for a private Valentine week with your partner.
- Udaipur, Rajasthan: For those who love the dry weather and clear blue skies of the desert coupled with spicy food, Udaipur is the perfect destination to spend Valentine’s day 2021. Also called the “City of Lakes” Udaipur is your dose of everything royal with its beautiful lakes and lakeside architectural wonders of the Rajput style.
- Gulmarg Kashmir: Gulmarg is a quiet hilly settlement with everything that defines a romantic getaway such as snow-covered landscapes, beautiful lakes, flowering gardens, and majestic mountains. It’s a haven for honeymooners and fun-loving couples who can enjoy their stay in the quiet mountains and indulge in activities such as skiing on the icecaps. The cold weather and chilly winds make it an ideal spot to cuddle up with your partner.
- Agra, UP: Where can you find a better place to celebrate your romance than under the glory of the Taj Mahal which stands as a monument for love. One of the most iconic structures in the world, the Taj Mahal definitely deserves to be on this list. The adjacent places in Agra such as Agra Fort, Wildlife SOS, Agra Heritage walking tour and others should definitely be on your Valentine week itinerary.
To plan your perfect romantic getaway, it’s essential that you have your flights and accommodation booked months earlier. However, with redBus as your travel partner, your commute to these destinations becomes a hassle-free process during all seasons. Booking your bus ticket online and choosing the best bus operators in the region has never been easier. Download the redBus app or visit the official website of redBus to avail exclusive discounts and cashback options.