I and 3 of my friends (aged between 47 to 56) travelled from Baripada to Kolkata on May 31, 2014 night by DAS & DAS Bus Service and we faced several problems and had a terrible experience.
1. Our seats were reserved on May 27. However, the bus operator changed our seats at will. They put the blame on Redbus and mentioned that Redbus had informed them abut our booking late on 31st evening. On protesting, we were threatened to be thrown out of the bus by the operators representatives whose attitude and appearance were that of local goons and thugs. They started by giving veiled threats "Do you want to travel or not" and subsequently said we will be thrown out if we continued our protests. Such threats at 10:30 in the night in an unknown place (we are not from Baripada) was very traumatic for us.
2. The bus operator picked up more passangers than allowed and people were seating on the floor blocking entry and exit. There were 3 people cramped inside the sleeper enclosures which is a safety hazard.
3. The bus reached Kolkata at 6:30 AM which is 2 hours after the scheduled arrival time. Over a scheduled journey time of 6 hours, this means a 33% delay.
4. The air conditioning was not up to the mark and it was stuffy and smelly.
5. The Bus drivers cabin was also cramped with un-authorised passengers and loud music was being played throughout the night.
Overall an extremely traumatic experience! I will think twice before using Redbus services again as they do not do any quality check on the bus operators and the services provided. We were told by other passangers that the people at the ticket counter took extra money from passangers and gave preferential seating. One of the advertised USPs of Redbus is you can get your preferred seats, which is clearly not the case. Also the bus operators were offering 15% discounts over the list price of the ticket which Redbus is not giving.
I would suggest that Redbus severs ties with operators such as "DAS & DAS Bus Service"